Here is a great write up by forum member JDub15! He gives us some great advice about how to fight and claw when playing a really tough opponent on defense. Sgibs played a tough match on TWIM 22 and was able to eek out a 6-3 win with some of these tactics as well!
Thanks Jdub, now check it out!
1) Don’t abandon the run, 99% of madden players abandon the run way too early even when it is effective. Stick with the running game, defense is 100x easier when you know for sure when it’s going to be a pass.
2) Try running a HB slip screen, but instead of throwing it the HB, roll out to the opposite side. Your opponent will likely bite on the screen and you can usually get 1 on 1 coverage downfield or hit guys on crossing routes for easy gains. Farls has a great play for this out of balanced but I’m not sure which one it is.
This method can also be applied depending on which player he is usering. Run a slip screen but send a WR right into the space where his user player should be. If he bites on the screen you then have an easy completion.
3) Master a lot of different plays. Most madden players have 4-5 plays that they constantly run… if they are not working they try the same plays over and over again. Work on expanding your playbook.
4) Keep it simple – If you’re off track run a simple play such as a Slants, where both WRs on just on quick slants… sometimes these simple plays are the hardest to defend.
5) Try to recognize patterns on defense… is he always dropping tons of guys into coverage? Hit him with WR screens… If he’s manning up then get single coverage and hit guys on quick slants or find a mismatch. If he’s always blitzing from one side then run/pass to the blitzing side.
Don’t get frustrated, no game is out of reach!
Make sure to tune into This Week In Madden show 23 tomorrow as we will reveal the east bracket for our tournament and give out free live tips and take mailbag questions!
Filed Under: Featured Content
About the Author: ZFarls is a 23 Year Old Madden Baller from Boston, MA. Along with Sgibs, he owns Madden Bible and looks to give players advanced strategies and tactics to win more madden games. He preaches confidence in what you are running and knowing the situation you are in. Everything else will come naturally!